Sunday, March 18, 2012

Lent 2012 (week 4, Mar 18) FORUM Cover by Susan Edwards



During Lent we are called to  Change our Hearts and use this graced time to be renewed in God's spirit.   The FORUM Cover Articles during Lent this year are written by fellow St. Francis parishioners about how serving our neighbors in need, especially through Catholic Social Services (CSS) has caused a change of heart for the better.

--------  --------  --------  --------
Lent 2012 (week 4, March 18) FORUM Cover by  Susan Edwards, member of St. Francis Parish

You will find that Catholic Social Services of Washtenaw County (CSS) is an amazing organization.  It has 28 programs and is open to all of the needy in our community.  CSS serves an average of 3,000 clients per month; its food bank alone provides food for nearly 650 families per month.  It is hard to imagine that in our affluent community, there are cars lined up as far as you can see, waiting for the food bank to open.  Still others arrive at the food bank via the bus, or on foot.  I have spent some time helping distribute food at the food bank, and it is an indescribable experience.  Not only do I feel overwhelmingly thankful to God that the needs of my own family are met, but I feel a sense of “rightness” in being there, of helping distribute what others have shared from their own tables and pantries, and of being able to show another that he or she is loved and cared for. 

There are many ways to help at CSS.  You can volunteer, serve on a committee or board, donate money or supplies, work on a fundraiser, or simply attend a fundraiser.  Donations are well spent, as CSS has one of the highest pass-through rates of any social services organization.  The programs at CSS include Father Pat Jackson House (the home for unwed mothers), as well as programs for the aging, housing for the most at-risk, help for abused children, hands-on work with the elderly, and many others.  One of their programs is sure to spark your interest.

Why become involved?  Jesus tells us to.  We have been singing the message of Matthew 25 since we were young.  “Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers, so you do unto me.”  How often do we get to minister to Christ?  Yet, He says that everything we do for someone else, we do for Him.  Wow!  I also learned something that has been very meaningful to me this year.  The Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC 1039) says, “Would that you had known that my little ones were in need when I placed them on earth for you and appointed them your stewards to bring your good works into my treasury.”  Amazing.  I thought that I was ministering to others when I donated my time, money, or talent.  Yet, it seems they were also ministering to me, allowing me to perform works that would please God.  These words certainly brought me a renewed sense of humility and gratitude in helping others, and a new way of looking at the poor and needy around me.

I have enjoyed my affiliation in varying capacities with CSS over the last 15 years.  CSS is a wonderful place to show your works.  I pray that God will continue to use me, and those around me, to reach out in love to those in need in our community. 

Have a blessed week!
Susan Edwards


Written by Susan Edwards, St. Francis Parish member…  Neighbors in Need:  Join us in support of our local neighbors who are struggling for food, housing, and care of poverty-stricken elderly.  Our direct service partnership is with Washtenaw Catholic Social Services."    Learn more at:  www.stfrancisa2.com/lent/

No comments:

Post a Comment