Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lent 2012 (week 3, Mar 11) FORUM Cover by Andy Nash



During Lent we are called to  Change our Hearts and use this graced time to be
renewed in God's spirit.   The FORUM Cover Articles during Lent this year are written by fellow St. Francis parishioners about how serving our neighbors in need, especially through Catholic Social Services (CSS) has caused a change of heart for the better.
--------  --------  --------  --------
Lent 2012 (week 3, March 11) FORUM Cover by  Andy Nash, member of St. Francis Parish


A few years ago there was an appeal in the Forum for volunteers, you have probably seen them many times.  Like most of us, I figured I was too busy to take on any volunteer obligations.  I was working full-time and taking classes at night while raising a family.  But I did my obligatory perusal of the positions and saw one that I thought I might be able to manage:  a once-a-month commitment delivering the church’s weekly food collection to the Northside Food Bank, operated by Catholic Social Services.  I own a pickup truck and I had helped deliver food in the past from periodic St. Francis food drives.  I knew how easy it was, which is honestly why I decided to volunteer for this particular position.

This was a huge change of outlook for me.  I had always thought that because the needs of our community are so immense, nothing short of an immense commitment on my part would make any difference or be worthwhile.  But delivering to the Northside Food Bank changed my mind almost instantly.  Several times when I arrived the shelves were almost bare – and while I am not responsible for collecting the food I deliver, my small effort to get it there is an important part of making sure that those who need the food actually get it.  This experience made me realize that it takes many small and large efforts on the part of many different people to make a difference.  So what started out as a decision to do “the smallest thing possible” ended up showing me that those small things are critically necessary.

The problems that we face are still immense, no doubt.  But all it would take to adequately address them would be for everyone to dedicate just a couple of hours per month; time that even the busiest of us could find.  I learned through my small commitment how necessary any amount of help is to those in need.  Additionally, I found that it is also very rewarding and greatly appreciated.  Since I first began delivering food, I have picked up a couple more volunteering commitments, both of them on a small scale, and am still able to maintain all of my work and familial obligations.  I now look back at my time before becoming a volunteer as time wasted for no good reason.  I was wrong in thinking that I didn’t have the time – and even more wrong in assuming that I couldn’t make a difference.  In closing, I encourage everyone to commit to volunteering a couple of hours a month to a cause you believe in.  It’s worth it.

Written by Andy Nash, St. Francis Parish member… Neighbors in Need:  Join us in support of our local neighbors who are struggling for food, housing, and care of poverty-stricken elderly.  Our direct service partnership is with Washtenaw Catholic Social Services."    Learn more at:  www.stfrancisa2.com/lent/

No comments:

Post a Comment