Sunday, March 4, 2012

Lent 2012 (week 2, Mar 4) FORUM Cover by Tony Glinke


During Lent we are called to  Change our Hearts and use this graced time to be 
renewed in God's spirit.   The FORUM Cover Articles during Lent this year are written by fellow St. Francis parishioners about how serving our neighbors in need, especially through Catholic Social Services (CSS) has caused a change of heart for the better.


--------  --------  --------  --------

The Yorkshireman's Motto [Abbreviated]
“. . . And if you do anything for nothing, do it for yourself.”
I am a selfish man, and I want you to be selfish.
Since 1959 Catholic Social Services of Washtenaw County (CSSW) has been dedicated to improving the lives of our community's most vulnerable citizens.  CSSW is the largest social service agency in Washtenaw County.  Annually CSSW serves thousands of individuals and families of all faiths and all walks of life.  
CSSW offers more than two dozen programs reflecting the vast diversity of our community: adoption and pregnancy counseling, food assistance, homelessness prevention, domestic and child abuse intervention and prevention, family therapy, and services to assist older adults, individuals with developmental disabilities, and at-risk families with young children.
I joined St. Francis parish in 1989 and the CSSW board of Directors in 1996.  By personal example, my parents always instilled in me the responsibility of lay Catholics to get involved and act positively in their communities.  When I joined CSSW I was absolutely shocked at the enormous need for social services in and around the Ann Arbor area.  This was not a mission to help poor people in some distant foreign land; this was real need just 1 mile from my home.  I guarantee that CSSW is active within a mile of your home also.
Did I mention that I’m selfish?  I have lived in Ann Arbor for 35 years.  I love our town.  I met my wife here.  We’ve made a life and raised our children here.  I plan to live here for the rest of my life. 
I am selfish because I want my town to get better and better.  If our community is going to improve, we need to help all our families in all their forms.  We must help all the children, not just our own.  Let’s face facts; times are tough for folks, and government finances and resources are stretched thin.  CSSW is a solid local charity that does solid local service for our community.
So I urge you to be selfish and get involved.  Do it for your community. Do it for your family and your children.  Do it for yourself.  Your gift of wealth, wisdom, or a willingness to work will have a profound and positive effect on our community now and in the many years to come.  Every dollar spent, every hour worked makes our community a better place for all of us.
Thank you for your time today, and may God bless each and every one of you.  
Lent 2012 (week 2, March 4) FORUM Cover by  Tony Glinke, member of St. Francis Parish

Neighbors in Need:  Join us in support of our local neighbors who are struggling for food, housing, and care of poverty-stricken elderly.  Our direct service partnership is with Washtenaw Catholic Social Services."    Learn more at:  www.stfrancisa2.com/lent/

No comments:

Post a Comment