Tuesday, March 12, 2013

We Serve One Another


“As the Body of Christ, We Serve One Another”
(Written by Bethany Eurick for the March 17, 2013, FORUM COVER.)

Traditionally during lent I tend to give something up. This usually means that I go on my annual Lenten diet.  However, I think this “sacrifice” is missing the point.  Lent is the perfect time to think outside our own world and dedicate ourselves to serving others. One way I have been able to serve others is by participating in the Lenten activities offered by the Peace and Justice Committee.

My experiences on the Peace and Justice Committee have helped me look outside of myself and better understand the needs of those around me. For example, participating in the Fair Trade Chocolate Sale helped me understand the importance of using my resources to support both the people around me and people I have never met. Through Lent, Christ is calling me into a deeper relationship with Him and them.  It is through these types of activities offered at St. Francis that I find the true meaning of Lent.

Furthermore, watching the film Sun Come Up and discussing global warming have led me to reflect on the importance of our environment and how our actions can affect fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.  Lent is a time for me to take a step back and reflect on where I am in my journey with Christ and make a plan to deepen it. Christ even gives us tips to help grow. He tells us in Matthew 25:40, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’' 

Mother Teresa reminds me that “not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”  


Enjoy using the sack and activities calendar for our LENTEN PROGRAM
Sustain a House – Fight Poverty… Help a family … Help a community.   Learn more at: StFrancisA2.com/lent

No comments:

Post a Comment