Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Corporate World to Volunteer


Sustain a House – Fight Poverty: help a family … help a community


Corporate World to Volunteer… "young retirees" giving back.
(Written by:  Karen Shellie for Forum March 24, 2013.)

Growing up Catholic, community service was a way of life.  Where there was a need, it was our responsibility to be part of the solution.  One of my earliest memories of service took place while I attended St. Thecla Elementary School in Clinton Township.  After pedaling for what seemed like 100 miles during a bike-a-thon, we successfully raised money to feed the starving children in third-world countries.  While it’s entertaining to look back at this time as an adult and realize it was really just three miles, those miles represent children, like me, learning to take action to help others.

That sense of service remained with me over the years.  It is what attracted me to St. Francis Parish nearly 13 years ago.  My interest was sparked by a post asking for volunteers for the newly forming Stephen Ministry and, after interviewing, I was accepted into the inaugural class of Stephen Ministers.  The training was intense and rewarding.  I learned more about myself as a Christian and I learned how to give by simply being present.  I was blessed with the ability to work with several care receivers, and eventually took the next leap to being trained as a Stephen Ministry Leader.

As a Stephen Minister and Leader, I was able help fellow parish members navigate through difficult situations and lay the groundwork for the future of our ministry.  In the midst of my tenure, however, I was downsized from a company after 11 years of service.  But I did not feel defeated; I was ready for a new beginning.  That new beginning was a position at Borders that would last for the next five years.  But then, on September 27, 2011, I closed the doors to my precious little book store forever.

I took time off to think about my next move, still helping with the Stephen Ministry and now championing the Giving Tree.  After all, when you’re feeling down, the best medicine is to help someone else.  The best place to be is back home at St. Francis!  We have such a gracious and generous community; it was a blessing for me to be able to be the instrument of change to those in need. 

It was during this time that I realized my passion to work as an advocate for those in need.  God has blessed me with a great deal of energy and passion to get things done.  His path for me included exposure to the inner workings of the marketing world, experience in working with decision makers, and first-hand experience with the “working poor”.  Most importantly, He blessed me with the tools to know how to be present, and how to advocate for those in need to the right people at the right time for the greatest impact.

It was a combination of my professional experience and service on multiple committees at St. Francis that led to my current position as Manager of Corporate Relationships at Habitat for Humanity of Huron Valley.  I received an email via the jobs group at St. Francis about an open position and knew from the moment I walked in their doors that it was the place I could make my home.  The rest is history.

If you also have a sense of service, consider volunteering at Habitat for Humanity!  Visit our website at:  http://h4h.volunteerhub.com or call (734) 677-1558.



Please Return Contributions on Palm Sunday, March 24th, 2013, to St. Francis of Assisi Parish
Please return the LENTEN PROGRAM OFFERING sack.   Visit: StFrancisA2.com/lent
Sustain a House – Fight Poverty… Help a family … Help a community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment