Thursday, February 28, 2013

Habitat - We Serve One Another


“As the Body of Christ, We Serve One Another”
(Written by Chuck Yonka for the FORUM Cover on Feb 17th, 2013.)

From my training as an athlete and as a member of the United States Marine Corp, I have learned to work as a team player and not to leave any team members behind. This attitude has carried over into the volunteer activities that I have been part of in the community through my church. There are times when I have been able to serve more than other times.

When I was young, I helped my dad build different sections of our cabin in the woods, along with my brothers. I did not have any skills but started to learn by doing. As part of several volunteer programs I have continued to learn more about rebuilding homes.   The first few Habitat for Humanity Houses I worked on were led by Steve Polgar.  I enjoy learning and helping others to learn.   Since retirement, I have taken classes to help me understand the whole process of building.

For me, the volunteer work I do is helping someone to get a home and helping me to learn new skills.   Also, it is a pleasure to get to know and help our partner family.

Chuck Yonka, Habitat House Leader

Participation in our parish LENTEN OFFERING Sack and Activities Calendar will unite us as the Body of Christ in serving one another.  Together with the Vivas family, our partner family, we will Sustain a House – Fight Poverty, Help a family... Help a community. All money collected will go to sponsor our Habitat for Humanity of Huron Valley 2013 Catholic House at: 2143 Merrill, Ypsilanti 48197, (near the area of Ypsilanti High School).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Andrea and Hosanna are the Vivas family!  

       We were born in Venezuela which is a beautiful country in South America and we speak Spanish.  We have been living in Michigan for 7 years. 

       At the beginning of our time here in Michigan things were a little difficult for us because we were living in a new country and didn’t speak English. However, step by step we were able to learn the language and adapt to our new home. I have a full time job as a Spanish translator at the University of Michigan Hospital. I am also attending school part-time.  

      Andrea, my daughter, is in 7th grade and she is a very smart 12 year old.   We have always desired to have our own home, but we also understood it could take a while for us because of our economic situation. However, Habitat has been the light at the end of the tunnel!  Through Habitat we will be able to purchase our own affordable home.   Andrea and I are very thankful for the opportunity to work with Habitat.

Sustain a House – Fight Poverty… Help a family … Help a community.   Learn more at: StFrancisA2.com/lent



No comments:

Post a Comment